http://www.one.org Talking in Parenthesis: What a Weekend

Talking in Parenthesis

Ramblings and angst from a mostly stay at home mom

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us. It is in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -Nelson Mandela

Sunday, March 05, 2006

What a Weekend

I wish I could say this weekend was uneventful, but alas. Hmmm where to start, first it was an early morning, very early, 4 am early. Brit had an JrROTC thing in Canon City and had to be at the school at 5 am. Ugh. Then off to work. Unfortunately no news on Vee. Nobody has heard from her, her check remains at work and her dad is still trying to find her. That makes us short handed and work a little harried. Got home started to do some relaxing, Ron fixed dinner and the kids were all outside playing. All seemed right with the world, until... Nate came in screaming, I had my back to the door and Ron yelled to me Oh shit, Megan!!! So I knew something was very wrong. Nate was holding in one hand his 2 front teeth, his 2 front permanent teeth and blood from his mouth in the other. That is a sight you will never forget, your 8 year coming in the house covered in blood. Mom mode took over, I grabbed the teeth, put them in milk, got Nate over the sink told him not to swallow the blood and keep spitting it out. Got Ron to get ready for the ER (thankfully we have a great Children's Hospital here) and called Brit to find out how close to home he was, he had just called to say he was on the way. Thankfully he has just about a minute away. So as soon as he walked in, we yelled some instructions over our shoulders and we were off. Spent several hours in the ER. Long story short, Nate has a through and through cut on his lip, not bad enough for stitches, they pulled 2 baby teeth next to his front teeth, got three stitches in his gums to hold his teeth and started the long ( over a year) procedure of hopefully him keeping his front teeth. That I am sure is going to be expensive, but for now I am thinking about that part. Nate did great, followed the doctor's and dentist's instructions, held still and was generally a trooper. And is still being one because he has to rinse his mouth out twice a day with gross tasting stuff and take yucky tasting antibiotics. Tomorrow we have to go back and have them check the splint holding his teeth in place, sort of looks like mini braces. After a trip to Walgreens and Safeway (he can't have solid foods) we got home about 11:30. But all and all everything is okay. We are lucky, he could have broken his jaw, or his skull. In fact while I stepped out to call home, I had to stop talking due to the noise from the helicopter landing. And all I could think about was the parents of the child that was brought in. How terrified they must be, because I knew how terrified I was and our problem was minor.

I should go back and make sure this makes some sense but frankly I am too tired, so thanks for hanging in with me.



1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I like that portion of his speech so much I might leave it up. It is one of the most powerful things I have every heard.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[Top]