http://www.one.org Talking in Parenthesis: Ah sunshine

Talking in Parenthesis

Ramblings and angst from a mostly stay at home mom

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us. It is in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Ah sunshine

I feel much better today. The sun is shining and there is no wind! It is cold, still below freezing at 10:30. And actually I like that, cold doesn't bother me. In fact I love it when it is clear and cold like this. Thankfully the bus stop is close for Alli or I might change my mind. Perfect day to make split pea soup in the crockpot, might even do some bread too.

The girls are watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this morning instead of the usual Nick Jr. I love watching Emma watch this movie. She dances along with the Oompa Loompa songs. And as much as I loved the first movie, and as big of part of my childhood, this movie is far better. Much truer to the book and spirit of Roald Dahl. I loved, well still do, his books. His imagination was wonderful and he never wrote down to children. His books are intelligent and treat children as intelligent creatures. I never liked being spoken down to as a child and refuse to do so to my children. Now that is not to say that I treat them as adults. There are certain things that we wait until it developmentally appropriate to tell them the complete story. Like babies, I never did the cabbage patch or stork. We started out with just the baby grows in Mom's tummy, and have added details as they ask and are ready. Back to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Johnny Depp is great in this movie. In fact the casting is great in the entire movie, I loved Freddie Highmore. He is almost exactly what i pictured Charlie to look like in y mind when I was little reading the book. I love that. Usually when I see a movie that I had read as book I am disappointed because the people never look like what I have pictured them. Interview with a Vampire would be a good example. Tom Cruise is not and will never be Lestat. Brad Pitt was passable Louis but Tom Cruise, never. Maybe that I why I prefer movies that are original and never books, I prefer my own mind to the screen.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[Top]