http://www.one.org Talking in Parenthesis: The Calm Before the Storm

Talking in Parenthesis

Ramblings and angst from a mostly stay at home mom

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us. It is in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Calm Before the Storm

Jamming to a little Green Day this morning. Just felt like I need to hear Holiday, get the blood pumping. Today is the last "normal" day before the holidays are upon me. Tomorrow I start cooking for Thanksgiving, the pies. At last count it will be 2 pumpkin, 2 pecan, and 2 apple. But that is subject o change according to my own person whims. In fact most everything around me is subject to change according to my whims. Over the weekend I need to make Nate's birthday cake. I think I will make him a football field, so I need to get some pipe cleaners or something to make goalposts. Otherwise it should be pretty easy, just simple lines. Then rearrange to make room for the tree the next weekend. We have a rule that no Christmas decorations go up before Nate's birthday. Besides the first weekend of Dec is soon enough. I remember when I was growing up we didn't put up our tree til a week or 2 before Christmas, of course we had a real tree too. But half of our complex already has their lights up and going for Christmas. For me a little early.

Next I have to figure out Christmas lists. Sigh, this is sort of a milestone year for me. It is the first year that Brit hasn't asked for at least some sort of toy. Last year it was a RC car but this year clothes, watch and a MP3 player. Which I guess is sort of a toy but not the same. It interesting being in a house that has both believers and non believers in Santa. And I honestly don't know who still believes, I know the girls do, but I don't know about Nate, Franklin or even Clay. I know Brit doesn't because he is now enjoying being part of the fun. Oh well, we have always made Santa more of a feeling and ideal than a real person. For several reasons, the first not to cloud the real "reason for the season", and one so it is sort of a passed tradition. Like what we are doing now with Brit. I didn't explain it to good. Hopefully Ron's mom will behave herself this year. I never know with her. A couple of years ago they came up (in the middle of the night) and I was putting together something for Alli and her first comment was, Oh Satan Claus was here. Nice, Merry Christmas to you too. I was proud of myself, without looking up I calmly replied, Debbie I respect your beliefs (which by the way change all the time) and in my house I expect you to respect mine. Ron and his Dad also backed me up, thankfully I have a husband who supports me on those things. So she was okay for most of the day except she wouldn't let Zay play with the toy we got him, he had to wait until he got home. I just don't understand the some peoples need for conflict...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[Top]