http://www.one.org Talking in Parenthesis: Random Thoughts

Talking in Parenthesis

Ramblings and angst from a mostly stay at home mom

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us. It is in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -Nelson Mandela

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Random Thoughts

Just when I though things would start to relax as far as school goes, HA. Brit and Clay are fine, doing their own thing. That is the way with high school an middle school. Of course sometimes that is a bummer. I do miss that stuff for them sometimes. It now Franklin's turn for the life altering applications and decisions. Being in 5th grade he will be in middle school next year and being gifted it isn't just as simple as going to the neighborhood school. I know, I know most people would kill for theses problems, and believe me I know just how lucky we are. I count my blessing every single day. But jeez this is stressful, for all of us. Their are 4 programs that he is applying for each with their own pros and cons. And each with their multi page application, in which I have to lists all of his strengths and examples of each. I seriously didn't do this much work for my own college applications and scholarships. Then after all that is done then there will be writing samples to be submitted, portfolios in the school of the arts case and personal interviews. And this is all for MIDDLE SCHOOL. I was freaked out when we went through all of this last year for Brit in high school. Now I am all for these advanced programs. And I know Franklin fits in these programs, he needs the advanced work. And I want him to achieve his goals. But this stress of this application process, isn't a little bit much for a 5th grader? This focus, push on our kids to do more earlier is driving me crazy. You know if you kid goes swimming in the summer instead of going to advanced science class he can still be a doctor, or astronaut or engineer. There were people in these careers before we had these classes. I doubt if Jonas Saulk's mom made him go to after school science fair tutors. I am all for letting a kid run with their passions, but let them guide it. That is why we are going through the application process right now. Franklin wants to be in some of these programs, he wants to do the advanced work and in depth work. He will be in one of those programs, do the harder, high school, work. And then come home and swim, play football and have snowball fights.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[Top]