http://www.one.org Talking in Parenthesis: Ah Saturday

Talking in Parenthesis

Ramblings and angst from a mostly stay at home mom

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us. It is in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -Nelson Mandela

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Ah Saturday

It being Saturday I haven't done a whole lot today, the beauty of the day. What have I done? I did some minor straightening up, made 2 apple crisps ( the season just cried out for them), read the paper, stitched some on the never ending project and watch Criminal Intent. I love that they are showing them from the beginning on USA. I can't always remember all of them so it is treat to rewatch some of them.

Of course the other thing I have done today was feel guilty for doing nothing. Which is just silly. I spend all week on the go and a lot of weekends. I should be able to have a weekend of just doing relaxing things. I think that is one of the problems right now. American women feel like we need to be superwomen. Whether we are stay at home moms or work out of the home. And it is crap. Not every minute of the day needs to be taken up with stuff. The kids don't need a lesson, or a sport or an activity every second of the day And need every second of the day taken up with "quality" time. I hate that phrase. Sometimes quality time is just being. Now that Britty is in high school some of our best "quality" times have been side by side in the kitchen, him doing his chores and me cooking. Now the parenting gurus probably wouldn't consider that "quality" but I tell you I get more of an insight in to what is going on than real sit down time. And while I am thinking of it I don't like most of those parenting guru types anyhow. I am sick of everybody trying to be their children's friends. My kids have plenty of friends, what they need is a mom and dad. People are so afraid of making their kids mad, etc that they are letting them run wild. Everyday after school the boys have 5 or 6 kids come ask them to play. And I mean right after school, barely time to get home from school. Now my kids are allowed out only after homework is done and chores are done. Not one of these kids have the same rules and I know at least they have the same homework. It never ceases to amaze me the number of parents that don't value school and basic discipline.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[Top]